Thursday, March 24, 2011

Skim coating like a boss

Hello dear readers!

We're back!  We've been super busy at the house and in the process neglected our lovely little blog.  After several panic attacks (we're moving in less than a month and the house is a disaster) I decided the 1st floor needed a little love.  So, since I work from home my office was at the top of my list.  I mean as awesome as this room was....

 Batman and Robin made the move with the prior owner's.....




 As you can see above, where they tore off the murals it left a noticeable indentation.  Sooo, yours truly got the pleasure of putting a skim coat of dry-wall mud on the abused wall.  I added a pretty good amount, as smooth as possible then let it dry overnight  Once dry, I strapped on my mask and used a drywall sanding block and sanded until my arms hurt.  I also kept running my free hand over the area to feel for any bumps or ditches I couldn't see.  You can also use drywall mud to correct any dents, dings or nail holes.  The mud itself comes pre-mixed in several sizes and the knives range from $2 to $30 depending on size and material.  I prefer the steel ones over plastic, they cost more but last forever and unlike plastic can't chip or break.

Here I am adding the first coat to the top mural, I didn't do as well on the bottom and had to do two coats.


 I also had to sand the black strip on the wall, the top and bottom of the strip protruded out and once painted the lines were really obvious.


  
Don't mind me just removing the smallest staples known to man from the floor!  We'll have more posts on that later, trust me.


Here is a sneak peek of the wall color - Tangerine Cream.

And I found this guy hanging around outside.  So cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment